Below is some WR material on terminology that I would like to put forth as draft terminology guidelines for consideration by the group.
- use inclusive language in documentation to support a diverse audience and to avoid distracting terminology.
- when a biased term in project is encountered, notify the TSC for remediation
- if there is risk that the replacement term is unclear to the audience, you can mention the industry-standard term verbally (for now), but not in writing. E.g.: “Open box testing (also known white-box testing) is a method of software testing that tests internal structures or workings of an application, as opposed to its functionality.”
- do not use the below biased terms in your documentation; use the provided replacement terms.
closed box testing
slow, break, limit, or alter the functionality
labor hours or work hours
labor or workforce
master (outside of the master/slave context)
For high availability: active/standby
For clocks: primary/secondary
For virtualization: host/guest
For services: server/client
For notifications: publisher (or provider) / subscriber
For other scenarios: initiator/responder
open box testing
Resending to corrected list address
From: Bill Mills <bill.mills(a)linaro.org>
Sent: Monday, September 20, 2021 7:36 AM
Subject: Terminology replacement input
replace master with main
github has special case logic to make this easier:
"slave" should be "remote processor"
"master" should be "remoteproc host"
virtio spec uses "device" and "driver"
suggest we use "virtio device" and "virtio driver"
Examples of devices:
virtio network interface
For today's remoteproc rpmsg, LInux is always the driver side
Some virtio "devices" are not very device like and instead are more like services.
Alternative for such cases
"application service" and "application client"
vsock: service is the one that creates the socket
p9fs: service is the side that has the filesystem
Note that a remote processor can host a service and be a client at the same time.
The terminology is per service.
Principal Technical Consultant, Linaro
TZ: US Eastern
Work Schedule: Tues/Wed/Thur
You can find the notes from the 9/20 call here: https://github.com/OpenAMP/open-amp/wiki/TSC-Meeting-Notes-2021#20210920
The link to the recording is: OpenAMP TSC Sept-20210920 1605-1<https://xilinx.webex.com/xilinx/ldr.php?RCID=eb39d7b3f010bcc92967802c5c4aca…>
Please download the recording in the next few weeks, if you need to get caught up. Not sure how long before Webex auto-deletes.
* Shoot for mid to end of October for next App-services call (Maarten to confirm w/ devs)
* GitHub: Replace master branch with main branch, after 2021.10 OpenAMP release
* @firstname.lastname@example.org<mailto:email@example.com> will check with the developers about date for: Demo & discussion of implementation & walk through the public repo
* @Tomas Evensen<mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org>, @Bill Mills<mailto:email@example.com>, @Kumar Gala<mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org>: Suggest who might be other key people to invite (e.g. Stratos)
* @Tomas Evensen<mailto:email@example.com>, @Bill Mills<mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org>, @Kumar Gala<mailto:email@example.com>, @firstname.lastname@example.org<mailto:email@example.com>: Send Nathalie who are the "must attend" people for app-services
* @Nathalie Chan King Choy<mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org>: Send doodle poll to "must attend" group
* @email@example.com<mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org>: Send out invitation to the app-services mailing list and wider audience
* @Bill Mills<mailto:email@example.com>: Check with Linaro if their discussion on inclusive terminology will expand to be public discussion
* @firstname.lastname@example.org<mailto:email@example.com>/@Arnaud POULIQUEN<mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org>: Rename the master branch in OpenAMP GitHub repos.
* @email@example.com<mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org>/@Arnaud POULIQUEN<mailto:email@example.com>: Discuss who of them will to update the master/slave terms in the code.
* @Nathalie Chan King Choy<mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org>: Organize sync w/ Kumar and Kate, Bill, Ed, Arnaud, Etsam on MISRA C checking in Zephyr & what can be leveraged for checking OpenAMP.
* @Nathalie Chan King Choy<mailto:email@example.com>: Reconvene TSC in 1 month. Agenda to include: TSC to approve Bill's proposal for master/slave terminology
Thanks & regards,
Unfortunately I have a conflict at this time and since we don’t have any urgent issues to bring up, we will move this meeting to a future time.
A quick update on the System Reference (aka end-to-end example) work we are doing:
We have a weekly meeting between interested parties that has been well attended.
It is at 8am PDT Fridays if you want to join (let me and Nathalie know).
Initially we have been focusing on what the initial demo should contain, including:
* Yocto builds of Linux kernels for every platform
* Initially a bare metal on the remote core, moving to Zephyr in the future
* Initially configure Linux, bare metal/Zephyr individually, moving to configure through System Device Trees in a near future
- This will help to show the progression and simplification accomplished by System DTs
* Start up Linux and instantiate the remote core through remoteproc
* Send simple messages through rpmessage, both through the kernel and through the user-space virtio implementation
Later we will add more complex scenarios, potentially including:
* More advanced examples demonstrating throughput and latency
* RTOS to RTOS
* Xen hypervisor
* High level services (e.g. file IO and socket IO over virtio)
* Non-Yocto environments, including pre-built kernels
The following companies has promised to engage in the project so far:
* Xilinx, ST, Linaro, Wind River, Siemens
Initially we will run on QEMU and at least one board each from ST and Xilinx.
* You should be able to do the above purely in open source, without downloading vendor specific tooling (Like PetaLinux from Xilinx).
* We want to have the experience as similar as possible for different HW vendors
- The hope is that we will help create somewhat standard ways of building and configuring heterogenous systems
When: 8:00 AM - 9:00 AM September 2, 2021
Subject: OpenAMP TSC - September
CAUTION: This message has originated from an External Source. Please use proper judgment and caution when opening attachments, clicking links, or responding to this email.
The notes and recording from the previous call can be found at https://github.com/OpenAMP/open-amp/wiki/TSC-Meeting-Notes-2021#20210721
Action items from previous call:
* Tomas to reach out on the TSC mailing list for who else is interested in going deeper into end-to-end example
* Nathalie: Send a doodle poll for end-to-end example call in 2-3 weeks to Tomas, Tanmay, Bill M, Kumar, Dan Milea, Arnaud, Jeff [DONE]
* Define the use cases for replacing master/slave terms and post to TSC list for further discussion
* Maarten: app-services
* Bill: Lower-level
* Nathalie: Send Doodle poll for early September call to member company reps [DONE]
* Nathalie: Include outstanding governance items on next TSC agenda
For info about the list, link to the archives, to unsubscribe yourself, or for someone to subscribe themselves, visit:
Nathalie C. Chan King Choy
Program Manager focused on Open Source and Community
Thursday, September 2, 2021
8:00 AM | (UTC-07:00) Pacific Time (US & Canada) | 1 hr
More ways to join:
Join from the meeting link
Join by meeting number
Meeting number (access code): 145 802 0094
Meeting password: vDriEZJ7$73
Join by phone
+1-415-655-0001 US Toll
1-844-621-3956 United States Toll Free
Global call-in numbers<https://xilinx.webex.com/xilinx/globalcallin.php?MTID=m92fbc9d659d9b5175646…> | Toll-free calling restrictions<https://www.webex.com/pdf/tollfree_restrictions.pdf>
Need help? Go to https://help.webex.com